MARIO LOMELI (1931–1997) was a long-time, active devoted member of CETA-South (then known as SCETA) and DTASC. He served on the SCETA Advisory Council and for many years served as treasurer of DTASC.
He was noted for being an outstanding theatre educator; musicals were his specialty. He taught at Audubon Junior High School and University High School in Los Angeles. For several summers he was director of the All-City Drama/Music Workshop which was held at Roosevelt High School. Upon retiring, he taught Readers Theatre at the Emeritus College at Santa Monica City College.
Mario always had a ready smile and was a kind, gentle, loyal man, deeply loved, admired and respected by his colleagues, students friends and family. He loved musicals and cherished his time attending and producing theatre.
In his memory a scholarship has been created for an outstanding student participant of the CETA-South and DTASC Festivals.
In partnership with the Drama Teachers of Southern California, this scholarship has been created for an outstanding student participant of the CETA Southern High School Theatre Festivals and DTASC Festivals. The Mario Lomeli scholarship audition happens concurrently with the DTASC scholarship auditions. It is co-funded by DTASC and CETA.
- Must be a senior in high school
- Must be involved in his/her school theatre department's activities during his/her junior and senior years
- Must declare a major or minor in Theatre Arts for the applicant’s freshman year at a college, university or conservatory
- Must have participated during his/her junior or senior year of high school in one Fall or one Spring DTASC Festival and one CETA Southern Region Festival
- Must have successfully completed all courses in his/her junior and senior years with no grade lower than a “C”
- Audition will consist of a five minute performance including one contemporary and one classical monologue including titles and playwrights
- Time will be called at five (5) minutes
- If performer continues past the time limit when stopped, s/he will be disqualified
- If singing is included as one of the monologue choices, the actor must provide recorded musical accompaniment (CD, iPod, etc.).
- The actor may not use costumes or props; however, two chairs will be available for their use. Do not plan to stand on the chairs being provided.
- An interview may follow the audition/presentation at the discretion of the panel
Applicants must download & complete the following forms:
- Application Form
- Personal Reflection Form
- Theatre Festival Experience Form
- Recommendation from current high school Theatre teacher — one page maximum on school letterhead
- High school transcript including first semester of senior year. Must include the cumulative grade point average.
Senior Scholarship Application Deadline: May 1st (postmarked or email)
Senior Scholarship Auditions: May 16th. Location TBD
Donations to any of these scholarships are greatly appreciated. Please make your tax-deductable check payable to CETA. Be sure to designate the specific scholarship to which you want to contribute. Send your contribution to California Educational Theatre Association, 8033 Sunset Blvd, #440, Los Angeles, CA, 90046.
Full List of Scholarships