The Kathleen Conner Production and Management Scholarship rewards the excellence of senior Thespians who intend to pursue a career in entertainment production or management.
Career/Education paths could include: Agent, Theater Management, Film/TV Budgets, Entertainment Lawyer, Producer, Entertainment Accountant, Educator, or similar.
Each troupe may submit one (1) senior Thespian for the Kathleen Conner Scholarship.
A successful applicant will…
- Demonstrate their commitment to theatre with their resume and personal statement.
- Enroll in a college or university; the Kathleen Conner Production and Management Scholarship does not require scholarship recipients to enroll in performing arts or arts-related major or minor for the fall term.
- Articulate how their selected course of study supports their long term career goals in film/tv or theatre production & management.
- Be recommended by their Troupe Director.
- Be a Thespian in good standing with current troupe, with a current Thespian ID number
- Have a current email address which they check regularly; all correspondence will be conducted via email.
- Submit all required application materials via Open Water by Mar 8, 2021.
- Note that auditions and presentations will be pre-recorded by the applicants and submitted virtually.
Your Troupe Director must submit your name as a recommended candidate by midnight on March 8, 2021. Once your name has been submitted, you will be emailed a link to submit your application.
Application must be submitted online by midnight PST on March 8th, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The following items will need to be uploaded with your application, so please prepare them in advance. Please refer to the Scholarship FAQ for important information on avoiding personal information in your application materials.
- Resume: one page (8.5 x 11) resume which includes performance and technical theatre experiences, training, special talents, club affiliations, honors, awards, and other theatre-related or relevant information.
- Personal Statement: 500-600 word typed personal statement which includes:
- The major/minor that you intend to pursue
- Your reasons for selecting this program of study and how your theatre experience will support this choice
- Your aspirations and goals for your future
- What benefits you have received from your theatre experience, and
- How your involvement in Thespians has influenced the pursuit of your goals
- Recorded slide deck presentation, no longer than 5 minutes, that answers any or all of the following questions:
- As a theatre manager, what is your management style?
- What skills have you acquired, as a theatre manager, that will apply to your life now and in the future?
- What are your strengths?
- What are your weaknesses?
- What do you see yourself doing in five years regarding theatre management?
- Tell how you organize, plan, and prioritize your work/projects.
- Give an example of when you thought outside of the box. How did it help you as a theatre manager for that particular project?
- Tell about a problem you encountered and how you handled it?
See FAQ for presentation guidelines.
Keep in mind…
All applications are scored on the following attributes. See the full scoring rubric here
- Excellence in Theatre Practice
- Ensemble and Collaborative Mindset
- Community & Troupe Engagement
- Theatre Advocacy Potential
If you are awarded a scholarship…
All scholarship recipients will receive an email from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim the scholarships for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
All scholarship recipients will receive a letter from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim scholarships.
If issued a scholarship, CA State Thespians does not register you for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
When you are ready…
Let your Troupe Director know you’d like to apply for the Kathleen Conner Production and Management Scholarship. Your Troupe Director will start the application process by submitting your name HERE, and then you will receive the link to submit your application materials.