The Senior Scholarship in Performance rewards the excellence of senior Thespians in theatrical performance.
Each troupe may submit one (1) senior Thespian for the Senior Scholarship in Performance.
A successful applicant will…
- Be able to demonstrate excellence in theatrical performance.
- Enroll in a college or university as a performing arts or arts-related major or minor for the Fall term.
- Be recommended by their Troupe Director
- Be a Thespian in good standing with current troupe, with a current Thespian ID number
- Have a current email address which they check regularly; all correspondence will be conducted via email.
- Submit all required application materials via Open Water by Mar 8, 2021.
- Note that auditions and presentations will be pre-recorded by the applicants and submitted virtually.
Your Troupe Director must submit your name as a recommended candidate by midnight on March 8, 2021. Once your name has been submitted, you will be emailed a link to submit your application.
Application must be submitted online by midnight PST on March 8th, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The following items will need to be uploaded with your application, so please prepare them in advance. Please refer to the Scholarship FAQ for important information on avoiding personal information in your application materials.
- Resume: one page (8.5 x 11) resume which includes performance, and technical theatre experiences, training, special talents, club affiliations, honors, awards, and other theatre-related or relevant information.
- Personal Statement: 500-600 word typed personal statement which includes:
- The performing arts major/minor that you intend to pursue and why
- Your aspirations and goals for your future
- How involvement in Thespians has affected your high school experience, as well as your plans for your future
- Recorded performance
- A self tape of 5 minutes or less, in which you perform two memorized, contrasting monologues.
- All monologues must be from published plays.
- All selections must follow the festival guidelines for appropriate performance material. (PG-13)
- See FAQ for self-taping guidelines in addition to the following:
- Be mindful of your space and how you come across in the virtual performance area.
- The performance area should be approximately 5’ x 5’
- You may use one chair and one small table. You may not use any other set pieces, hand props or costumes.
- Clothing should be audition appropriate without being a costume. All black is acceptable but not required.
- Slate should include full name, titles and playwrights of pieces, but no school, director names, or troupe number.
Keep in mind…
All applications are scored on the following attributes. See the full scoring rubric here
- Excellence in Theatre Practice
- Ensemble and Collaborative Mindset
- Community & Troupe Engagement
- Theatre Advocacy Potential
If you are awarded a scholarship…
All scholarship recipients will receive an email from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim the scholarships for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
All scholarship recipients will receive a letter from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim scholarships.
If issued a scholarship, CA State Thespians does not register you for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
When you are ready…
Let your Troupe Director know you’d like to apply for the Senior Scholarship in Performance. Your Troupe Director will start the application process by submitting your name HERE, and then you will receive the link to submit your application materials.