The Ellis Jordan Scholarship awards outstanding sophomore and junior Thespians by financing their attendance at the International Thespian Festival, with the intention of supporting their personal growth and strengthening their Troupe.
The Ellis Jordan Scholarship is awarded to Sophomore and Junior Thespians who have never attended the International Thespian Festival. This scholarship covers the basic registration fee to attend this festival and does not cover transportation costs. CA State Thespians does not register the student for the festival, which is solely the recipient’s responsibility.
Each troupe may submit one (1) or two (2) sophomore or junior Thespians.
A successful applicant will…
- Be able to demonstrate passion for theatre, preparedness for the International Thespian Festival, and a plan for implementing their new skills & knowledge for the good of their troupe.
- Register for the International Thespian Festival.
- Be a sophomore or junior Thespian.
- Be recommended by their Troupe Director
- Be a Thespian in good standing with current troupe, with a current Thespian ID number
- Have a current email address which they check regularly; all correspondence will be conducted via email.
- Submit all required application materials via Open Water by Jan 31, 2021.
- Submit a 250 word written or 2 minute video response to attending International Thespian Festival by Sep 30, 2021.
- Note that auditions and presentations will be pre-recorded by the applicants and submitted virtually.
Your Troupe Director must submit your name as a recommended candidate by midnight on January 24, 2021. Once your name has been submitted, you will be emailed a link to submit your application.
Application must be submitted online by midnight PST on January 31, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The following items will need to be uploaded with your application, so please prepare them in advance. Please refer to the Scholarship FAQ for important information on avoiding personal information in your application materials.
- Resume: one page (8.5 x 11) Resume which includes performance and technical theatre experiences, training, special talents, club affiliations, honors, awards, and other theatre-related information.
- Personal Statement: 400-600 word personal statement answering the prompt:
“Why I want to attend the International Thespian Festival and how I plan to share my experience with my Troupe Director and Thespian Troupe.”
Keep in mind…
All applications are scored on the following attributes. See the full scoring rubric here.
- Excellence in Theatre Practice
- Ensemble and Collaborative Mindset
- Community & Troupe Engagement
- Theatre Advocacy Potential
If you are awarded a scholarship…
All scholarship recipients will receive a letter from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim scholarships.
It is the responsibility of scholarship recipients to send proof of registration and a 250 word written or 2 minute video response to attending International Thespian Festival to the State Director in order to claim their scholarship by September 30th of the year awarded. Requests received after the deadline will not be honored.
If issued a scholarship, CA State Thespians does not register you for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
When you are ready…
Let your Troupe Director know you’d like to apply for the Ellis Jordan scholarship. Your Troupe Director will start the application process by submitting your name HERE, and then you will receive the link to submit your application materials.
Should you have any application or pre-festival questions please reach out to the scholarship coordinator.