CA Thespian Undergrad Scholarships provide support for non-senior Thespians to attend extracurricular theatre or theatre-related programs, usually during the summer, with the intention that they will implement their new skills and knowledge for the good of their troupe.
Each troupe may submit one (1) or two (2) freshman, sophomore, or junior Thespians.
A successful applicant will…
- Be able to demonstrate passion for theatre, preparedness for their chosen summer program, and a plan for implementing their new skills & knowledge for the good of their troupe.
- Enroll in an extracurricular theatre or theatre-related program.
- Be a freshman, sophomore, or junior Thespian.
- Be recommended by their Troupe Director
- Be a Thespian in good standing with current troupe, with a current Thespian ID number
- Have a current email address which they check regularly; all correspondence will be conducted via email.
- Submit all required application materials via Open Water by Mar 8, 2021.
- Note that auditions and presentations will be pre-recorded by the applicants and submitted virtually.
Your Troupe Director must submit your name as a recommended candidate by midnight on March 8, 2021 using THIS FORM. Once your name has been submitted, you will be emailed a link to submit your application.
Application must be submitted online by midnight PST on March 8th, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
The following items will need to be uploaded with your application, so please prepare them in advance. Please refer to the Scholarship FAQ for important information on avoiding personal information in your application materials.
- Resume: one page (8.5 x 11) Resume which includes performance and technical theatre experiences, training, special talents, club affiliations, honors, awards, and other theatre-related or relevant information.
- A link to the intended summer program.
- Personal Statement: 400-600 word typed personal statement which includes:
- what you have gained by being a Thespian
- what you hope to gain by attending this summer program
- how you plan to share this experience and new knowledge with your troupe.
- Recorded presentation
- Applicants have up to 5 minutes to demonstrate their passion for theatre, preparedness for their chosen summer program, and/or plan for bringing new skills & knowledge back to their troupe. Some suggestions are listed below:
- Performance: 1 piece or 2 contrasting solo pieces, at least one of which is a monologue
- Portfolio of technical theatre or design work
- Presentation of troupe involvement & leadership
- Teaching demo (or footage of previous teaching)
- See FAQ for presentation guidelines.
Keep in mind…
All applications are scored on the following attributes. See the full scoring rubric here
- Excellence in Theatre Practice
- Ensemble and Collaborative Mindset
- Community & Troupe Engagement
- Theatre Advocacy Potential
If you are awarded a scholarship…
All scholarship recipients will receive an email from the scholarship coordinator explaining the process to claim scholarships.
It is the responsibility of scholarship recipients to send proof of registration, enrollment or completion to the State Director in order to claim their scholarship by September 30th of the year awarded. Requests received after the deadline will not be honored.
If issued a scholarship, CA State Thespians does not register you for the program/event selected. All follow up is the responsibility of the recipient.
When you are ready…
Let your Troupe Director know you’d like to apply for the CA Thespian Undergrad Scholarship. Your Troupe Director will start the application process by submitting your name HERE, and then you will receive the link to submit your application materials.
Should you have any application or pre-festival questions please reach out to the scholarship coordinator.