Play Marathon provides an opportunity for troupes to perform a one-act play or a cutting from a full-length show at Festival. California Thespians may recommend one top-quality show from Play Marathon for the Chapter Select` Showcase at the International Thespian Festival. Up to four entries may also be chosen to perform the main stage at the California Thespian Festival: one from the Northern California Play Festival, one from the Southern California Play Festival, one or two from video submissions. Play Marathon may or may not be a main stage event. Entries may be scheduled for performance in a smaller venue on Friday and/or Saturday.
Submissions should be free of sexually, racially, religiously or culturally offensive material. All selected Play Marathon registrants must arrive no later than noon on Friday. The performance area at the Festival may be limited to 20’ by 40’.
PLEASE NOTE: If your troupe is selected for Play Marathon, the students involved in that piece you cannot participate in PlayWorks, Opening or Closing number, Assistant Director/Choreographer opportunities, or Tech Crew. You will need to make a choice.
RULES FOR ENTRY
- Time Limits: Performance – 30 MINUTES; Set Up – 5 MINUTES; Strike – 3 MINUTES
- A completed Play Marathon Application with a copy of the script (as to be performed), cast list, and proof of rights must be submitted via this form by midnight of January 31. If you have problems uploading your film, contact the Play Marathon coordinator at the e-mail listed below.
- The uploaded video must show the piece, as it will be presented at the Festival. It must show only the 30-minutes the cast will present.
- Entries may be directed by either a student or an adult.
- All cast and crew members must be registered delegates.
- Four basic chairs and a table will be provided. Any other set pieces and props must be provided by the performing troupe and may not be stored at the site.
- Costumes and hand props are permitted.
- No internal light cues are allowed. Lighting requirements may only call for lights up and lights down.
- Entries that exceed the time limit will be disqualified.
- Schools/troupes are responsible for any and all expenses, including royalties.
- Troupes must be on-site by noon on Friday.
Play Marathon questions may be directed to Billy Houck at firstname.lastname@example.org